By being smart and strategic, you can fill out your summer wardrobe
By Kelly Hockenberry, Columnist, The Times
- Take inventory of pieces that you already have and inspect them for wear and tear. You do not need 10 new black t-shirts if you have two that you love. Buying multiples of the same style just creates chaos in your closet. However, if you need one, this Old Navy top is a STEAL at $8!
- Replacing your WHITE oxfords, tanks and t’s is always a good idea. These never seem to last from one season to the next due to staining. Plus, I use them as layering pieces going into autumn. I love this version from JCrew on sale for $59.50!
- Once July 4th passes, swimsuit prices are drastically slashed. Obviously, styles and trends change from year to year, but a solid navy tank or bikini is classic and timeless (like this Splendid bathing suit at Piperlime.com for $79)
- Cover-ups barely survive one summer due to the sunscreen and chlorine they absorb, so they are worth buying. Love this bargain at Target! $13.49!
- Flip-flops and straw hats are ridiculously cheap now, just be sure to have a place to store them that you will not forget! (This has happened to me more than I care to admit).
- Never buy sunscreen in bulk at a discount unless there is an expiration date. Most formulations lose their efficacy within one year.
- Leather sandals are definitely worth purchasing and I am LOVING these hot pink thongs from The Gap for $27.96!
- I always buy summery colored lip-glosses on sale. When the weather gets cooler and I switch to a darker pigment lipstick, I love the look of a lighter shimmer to brighten things up!
Well, there you have it! My tips for shopping summer sales! Share YOUR thoughts in the Comment section below!