Just a few of things I’m thinking of this Thanksgiving
By Kelly Hockenberry, Columnist, The Times
I am thankful for so many things this November, though. I thought I’d list a few for you…
- I am thankful that the election is O-V-E-R. Whatever your political persuasion, after endless weeks of bad TV ads and random, automated calls from politicians at 8:45pm, I’m grateful we can discuss new important topics like extra-marital affairs by government higher-ups responsible for our national security.
- I am thankful that I am NOT cooking the Thanksgiving turkey (so is my family). The thought of reaching into a whole, goosepimply, cold, dead bird to remove its bag of innards is enough to send me right over the edge.
- I am thankful that Costco is now open for business. I love that I can walk in for a North Face jacket AND a 20-pound box of granola bars in the same store. They sell diamonds, too. However, I put the husband on notice that I do NOT want a Costco diamond this Christmas. (He was relieved)
- I am thankful that Costco is very close to JCrew (obviously).
- I am thankful that the YMCA is doing their annual “Turkey Ride” spin class so that I can pre-burn some calories. It’s like Sophie’s Choice to have to decide between pumpkin and apple pie and I just refuse to do it. I’ll take a slice of each, thank you very much.
- I am thankful that I think that I may have a photo to use for a Christmas card already. This is HUGE, people. If it actually is printed and mailed, it will be a miracle.
- *I am thankful for the 3 half-days of school prior to a long holiday weekend after approximately 10 FULL days of school since the end of August. *insert sarcasm and a pinch of irritability here.
- I am thankful that there are no looming ominous weather forecasts for Thanksgiving. I think that we have had our fair share for the rest of this year, at least.
- I am thankful that my kids are (once again) playing on a half-dozen basketball teams with games all over this blessed county.
- I am thankful that I get to sit at their games with fun girlfriends and chat….I mean, watch.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! May your day be filled with family, fun and lots of yummy food!