Step outside of your comfort zone to refresh your look
By Kelly Hockenberry, Columnist, The Times
I feel it. And, it’s a dangerous thing. The last time I felt this way, I cut the length of my hair from my shoulders to my chin (then cried for approximately six months, give or take).
A stylish makeover need not be so dramatic…but, in order to feel refreshed, I do believe it’s necessary to step a bit outside of your comfort zone.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- How long have I been wearing the same color lipstick?
- Do I switch my perfume as the seasons change?
- When was the last time I had my eyebrows cleaned up/shaped?
- Are my shoes looking too worn or outdated?
- Have I shopped for a new bra in the past two years?
- How many consecutive days have I put my hair up in a ponytail?
- Do I ever pick a new color when I go for a manicure/pedicure?
- How long have I been carrying this handbag?
- Am I wearing yoga pants all day on a regular basis?
- When was the last time I wore heels?
If the thought of answering these questions honestly makes you sweat, it’s time to switch it up. Try a dark colored nail polish. Buy a wine colored lipstick. Ask your hairdresser for some subtle changes to your cut/color to make it feel fresh and new. Scour the internet for sales on boots and handbags. Why wait until January 1 to make some stylish resolutions? The change of season is the perfect excuse to reinvent yourself!
It is certainly not necessary to do everything at once. Challenge yourself to make a small change twice a month. It is so easy to fall back on the “safe” options when it comes to fashion. But, incorporating a few trends into your same-old, boring routine will inject new life into your style.
I have a hair appointment scheduled for Tuesday. I may re-read this article before I go so that I don’t end up with hot pink colored extensions!